Romans 11:36

"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.
To Him be the glory forever! Amen."

Jun 29, 2008

Pink names and Jesus

Week 1 Funny moments

I’m declaring it right now: by no means do I guarantee that you will be amused by reading about my funny moments. They are and/or were humorous to me at one point in time, and I simply want to share them with you. I hope you enjoy.

(1) Dreaming in Pink

So the first 5 nights of my stay in Costa Rica were spent in Ray’s oldest daughter’s bedroom. She’s 8. “My” bedroom consisted of a white dresser that was home to 40 variations of princesses--ceramic, plastic, tile, you name it. “My” white nightstand was home to a Disney princess jewelry/music box. “My” bed was covered in an all-pink comforter with an all-pink decorative pillow and a Disney princess pillow case (Snow White on one side, Cinderella on the other). And, above “my” bed was “my” pink, flowing, princess curtain/drape/net thing embroidered with stars. It was under the protection of that pink, flowing thing that I often sat up in bed to read or send emails. I hope the visual imagery tickles your senses.


(2) Hey . . . you

In Costa Rica, I have a privilege that doesn’t accompany most royalty: I am known by 4 names. Whether it’s Will, Weel, Weely, or Weelian, I answer to all. The latter three are the Spanish variations of my name, spelled phonetically for all English speakers to enjoy reading the Spanish accent, without having actually heard it. The one they use most often: Weely. Just imagine three young girls (daughters of the orphanage’s host family) sneaking up behind me while I’m working, rapid-firing that name and then taunting me to chase them. And then their mother yelling at me by that name to see if I want coffee while I’m working. I’ve told them that some of my “friends” used to call me Casper. I think they understood right away.


(3) Night of the Living Dead, or Jesus

Driving through the mountains of Costa Rica, I saw a sign for a funeral home. The name of the funeral home: “El Retorno,” or, in English, “The Return.” That’s right, “The Return” Funeral Home. I figured it’s either a demented joke or a beautiful sign of faith. I’ll let y’all decide.

No comments: