Romans 11:36

"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.
To Him be the glory forever! Amen."

Feb 19, 2009

El caribe y el pacífico


Kevin Maples, one of my first-year Bible study leaders at UVa and a great friend of mine, came to visit me these past two weeks.  I put Kevin to work, as he helped to construct ceilings at our Methodist Children's Home. 

However, Kevin and I also got to travel to both the Caribbean and the Pacific coasts during his time here.  The trips were amazing.  I got to see parts of Costa Rica that I've only heard about, and it truly opened my eyes to the variety of places that exist in this beautiful country.

When we were on the Pacific side, we visited the waterfalls in Montezuma, at the bottom of the Nicoya Peninsula.  You could see it as 3 separate waterfalls, or as one, 3-tiered waterfall.  Either way, the first one was 15 feet long, the second was 50 feet long and the third was 90 feet long.  Each dumped into cool, fresh, wonderful, natural pools of water.  They were a delight to swim in.

Kevin and I jumped off the 15 foot waterfall in order to see the 50 feet waterfall (which I could not get a picture of since my camera was at the top of the 15-footer).

Then, standing there looking at the 50-foot waterfall and the cool blue pool below, we were told to jump.  So what did we do?  We jumped.  And it was sweet.

I went first, and I discovered a day later that the impact with the water bruised my right leg.  Definitely worth it.  It took some convincing for Kevin to jump, but after I jumped a second time (in which my landing was much smoother), Kevin had no choice.

After a 180 in the air, Kevin came out of the water . . . with a bloody chin.  It looked very dramatic.  He only cut his lip, but it would've been a lot cooler if he was jumping to save his life and came out with the bloody mouth, a battle-scar from saving his own life.    

*Warning: stunts mentioned in this blog were performed by trained professionals.  Please don't try this at home  :-)

No comments: